Well, I have to admit that it is really hard to follow Tim's update that would top his day. I am in Honduras because the boys are in school. We would give anything to be there in Louisiana helping with things but we know there are so many people there doing many great things.
As for my week, I would normally say that this week was really bad. Things went wrong, friends got hurt and I got frustrated. But since the hurricane last week, I would have to say my week was wonderful. Let me explain.
It always happens to be the case that when Tim is gone, everything breaks. We had a water pipe bust in the back yard and it spewed water for two days. Joe came over and fixed it once and it busted again. Finally Timoteo, our dear friend, drove up and repaired it this morning. My shower nozzle in my bathroom broke and it spewed water for two days. We have had our share of water but compared to New Orleans, I will take that anyday.
Wednesday, because of the hurricane, gas prices rose $1 dollar to a total of about $5 dollars. The taxi and bus drivers went on strike and blocked the entire city and every main road in town. It was pretty bad. There was rioting going on and no way to get down our mountain so we stayed home. School was cancelled for two days. After all the rucus, the president lowered the gas back down to $4 dollars but raised the electric bill for everyone. The taxi and bus drivers were happy about that so they stopped the strike and we were allowed back on the road.
A friend of ours, Jonathan, a twelve year old boy that lives in San Miguel, was climbing a tree early this week and fell into the river hitting many rocks. He broke both of his arms, his hip, messed up his foot, and had 30 something stitches in his head. We went to see him yesterday, and they had just took him into surgery. He was in surgery for 10 hours. Hospital Esquela is not a hospital that I would want my son having a 10 hour surgery in needless to say. We looked for his mother but we couldn't find her. Leo said that she was supposed to be at the back gate to meet him. The hospital has this weird policy that not everyone can get in. If you don't have a special badge, you have to wait in line at the back of the hospital for hours even if your child is having surgery. I have always been pretty upset with this rule but nothing I could do about it. Today, we saw him around noon, and he was in a full body cast and his mom said that he would be that way for four months. Jonathan was in good spirits as possible. He was always the one to jump on my truck and try to talk to me in English. I came back around 3 pm with dinner and the nurses were there doing something to his foot and he was just a screaming. My heart just hurt. He was crying "Duele, Duele" which means, Pain, Pain. They don't administer pain medicine, they just write a perscription and tell the mother to go get it filled if she has the money. They are sending him home on Monday and his mom asked me to take them home in my truck since they have no way of getting him in a vehicle stretched straight out in the cast. It is amazing to me that they would just send him home in his condition. As I was leaving, Jonathan said to me in English, "I lu you forever, Gena". I told him I loved him too and said I would see him soon. My heart is broken. Such a sweet little boy.
Yesterday, Joe Merillat, Jennifer Arnold, Katie Wells, Me, and the boys all worked out at the property in Santa Ana. We had a lot of fun toting concrete blocks and ceramic tile to the houses. Definitely a work out. Tomorrow, we are headed back out to Santa Ana to build a wood house for an elderly man.
I pray that God will continue to bless the efforts in La., Ms., Al., Honduras, and everywhere.
Good night,
Gena
As for my week, I would normally say that this week was really bad. Things went wrong, friends got hurt and I got frustrated. But since the hurricane last week, I would have to say my week was wonderful. Let me explain.
It always happens to be the case that when Tim is gone, everything breaks. We had a water pipe bust in the back yard and it spewed water for two days. Joe came over and fixed it once and it busted again. Finally Timoteo, our dear friend, drove up and repaired it this morning. My shower nozzle in my bathroom broke and it spewed water for two days. We have had our share of water but compared to New Orleans, I will take that anyday.
Wednesday, because of the hurricane, gas prices rose $1 dollar to a total of about $5 dollars. The taxi and bus drivers went on strike and blocked the entire city and every main road in town. It was pretty bad. There was rioting going on and no way to get down our mountain so we stayed home. School was cancelled for two days. After all the rucus, the president lowered the gas back down to $4 dollars but raised the electric bill for everyone. The taxi and bus drivers were happy about that so they stopped the strike and we were allowed back on the road.
A friend of ours, Jonathan, a twelve year old boy that lives in San Miguel, was climbing a tree early this week and fell into the river hitting many rocks. He broke both of his arms, his hip, messed up his foot, and had 30 something stitches in his head. We went to see him yesterday, and they had just took him into surgery. He was in surgery for 10 hours. Hospital Esquela is not a hospital that I would want my son having a 10 hour surgery in needless to say. We looked for his mother but we couldn't find her. Leo said that she was supposed to be at the back gate to meet him. The hospital has this weird policy that not everyone can get in. If you don't have a special badge, you have to wait in line at the back of the hospital for hours even if your child is having surgery. I have always been pretty upset with this rule but nothing I could do about it. Today, we saw him around noon, and he was in a full body cast and his mom said that he would be that way for four months. Jonathan was in good spirits as possible. He was always the one to jump on my truck and try to talk to me in English. I came back around 3 pm with dinner and the nurses were there doing something to his foot and he was just a screaming. My heart just hurt. He was crying "Duele, Duele" which means, Pain, Pain. They don't administer pain medicine, they just write a perscription and tell the mother to go get it filled if she has the money. They are sending him home on Monday and his mom asked me to take them home in my truck since they have no way of getting him in a vehicle stretched straight out in the cast. It is amazing to me that they would just send him home in his condition. As I was leaving, Jonathan said to me in English, "I lu you forever, Gena". I told him I loved him too and said I would see him soon. My heart is broken. Such a sweet little boy.
Yesterday, Joe Merillat, Jennifer Arnold, Katie Wells, Me, and the boys all worked out at the property in Santa Ana. We had a lot of fun toting concrete blocks and ceramic tile to the houses. Definitely a work out. Tomorrow, we are headed back out to Santa Ana to build a wood house for an elderly man.
I pray that God will continue to bless the efforts in La., Ms., Al., Honduras, and everywhere.
Good night,
Gena


<< Home