6.12.2005

I Saw a Sermon

This week I saw a sermon, preaching it was a man that had been teaching God's word for over twenty five years. He said that church is no place for sinners, that you had to be memberized, approved, baptized in the church before they are qualified to obtain help from the Church.

Where did we get off track, to think that only through the knowledge we have, could one ever come to know the true path. Who do "We" think we are? " God forgive us for being Pharasees".
We can't serve you unless.... There is something in it for us. How Sad.

Then I saw another sermon by the next keynote speaker. She was a new comer. I don't even remember her name nor does it matter because the message she preached was not about her or conditional love. It was simple and to the point. No long introductions, no jokes to get the crowd engaged. In fact, she barely talked at all.

The crowd looked on as she began to smile at a few of them. She was gracious and seemed to be holding everyone's attention as she began to share her faith with a simple question. Are you thirsty? Many responded Yes. Several said nothing. She opened a water jar and began to give some water. She asked again. Who is still thirsty? No one responded. She shared that if they weren't thirsty they would receive nothing today. She grabbed a bowl of water and began to wash feet. The crowd watched with bewilderment. She came to an old man, dirty feet, and crooked toes. She bowed her head to wash and whispered something and began to wash his feet. He was uncomfortable at first but then he seemed to relax a little. Then he began to cry. He was so overcome with emotion that the crowd noticed his pain. He asked the woman why are you doing this? She said, "Because this is what my savior did and I want to be a reflection of him. The old man smiled and wiped his tears away. As the woman moved to the next person the old man got up and left. A few minutes later he returned with a bowl of his own. He bowed down his head, whispered a prayer, looked at the woman and said, "You get that side of the Auditorium and I'll get this side. They both smiled and began washing feet.

Soon the crowd began to file out one by one and returning with bowls of water began to join in the ritual and before it was overwith everyone's feet had been washed.

No one would remember what the first speaker even talked about.
No one would ever forget their feet being washed.

Jesus has shown us over and over how to serve others. Putting others ahead of ourselves. I hope that the woman or old man shows up to wash your feet this week. I hope you let them do what Jesus sent them to do. I hope you are equally moved to begin to wash others feet as well.

Lord, Help us to be servants.

T