What a day! Tim and I just got back from Honduras last week and things just keep getting busier and busier. I haven’t seen much of Tim because he is directing 427 volunteers this week for Hilltop Rescue Ministries. Tim, Janet, and Brenden have worked very hard to secure a school in Chalmette where a majority of the damage is and have set up camp in the school to house volunteers to “demuck” homes flooded by Katrina.
I went down to see the work today and was just overwhelmed at the damage still there 6 months later. It really looks like a bomb hit the town. The volunteers are here from all over the US and have repaired 37 houses in the last two days. Pictures can’t even do justice to the damaged homes. Tim showed me around some of the neighborhoods near the school they are working out of. We went into some of the houses that had not been “demucked” and some that had been “demucked”. What a difference! Seeing photos and toys buried under rubble and mold growing up the walls made me sad and almost forgot that someone actually had good memories there at one time. But that is all they have now, memories. Some of the homes were still in the middle of the road because the levy broke and the water pushed the homes 100 feet. There were still boats and cars in trees.
But I saw a lot of good things today too. Different people coming together to help people they didn’t even know. Jesus talks about loving your neighbor as yourself. I think even though these volunteers came from half across the country they still feel like these strangers are their neighbors and are doing what Jesus would do. It is truly a wake up call to be here and see it first hand. I thank God for my husband. I don’t deserve his heart. He is truly a man of God. Thank you for showing me Jesus today Tim. I love you. gena
I went down to see the work today and was just overwhelmed at the damage still there 6 months later. It really looks like a bomb hit the town. The volunteers are here from all over the US and have repaired 37 houses in the last two days. Pictures can’t even do justice to the damaged homes. Tim showed me around some of the neighborhoods near the school they are working out of. We went into some of the houses that had not been “demucked” and some that had been “demucked”. What a difference! Seeing photos and toys buried under rubble and mold growing up the walls made me sad and almost forgot that someone actually had good memories there at one time. But that is all they have now, memories. Some of the homes were still in the middle of the road because the levy broke and the water pushed the homes 100 feet. There were still boats and cars in trees.
But I saw a lot of good things today too. Different people coming together to help people they didn’t even know. Jesus talks about loving your neighbor as yourself. I think even though these volunteers came from half across the country they still feel like these strangers are their neighbors and are doing what Jesus would do. It is truly a wake up call to be here and see it first hand. I thank God for my husband. I don’t deserve his heart. He is truly a man of God. Thank you for showing me Jesus today Tim. I love you. gena


<< Home