The Defining Moment
The other day I had an opportunity to return to a place where I met Jesus frequently to spend some time in the presence of my Savior. Jesus was a carpenter, an Uncle, a friend, a son and to those in his own home town he was a great carpenter. ( I can't imagine that he was an ordinary one). I see him as always having as much work as he wanted because he was the best at it yet didn't care at all about his profit margin or bottom line.
I have spent much time thinking about what Jesus did his last day in his shop. Did he finish some furniture for his family? Did he make something special for his nieces and nephews? Did he have something beautiful for his precious mother that he wished to give her as he departed for his ministry? Did he run his hard yet holy hands down some rough lumber thinking of things he wanted to make yet knowing it was time to go? Did he build a cross and lay down on it and think of the suffering he would have to endure for us, a world of people that would turn on him, knowing he would have the power and authority to crush those who would beat and crucify him? What was the defining moment that would catapolt Jesus into ministry?
It had to be a day of days. A day that Jesus spent in prayer and meditation. A day that fear could not stop his desire to serve his Father's plan. A day that Jesus said "It's time to step out of the boat and onto the water". A day that would change the world forever by simply walking away from all he knew and trust in a plan that was not his in order that His father's love could become complete for all the world to see.
I was at that spot the other day with two little boys, Christian and Omar. I went back to my shop in my mind, a comfortable place, you see I too am a carpenter. I grabbed pieces of wood and began to build a wall with these two young boys. We sang and talked as we accomplished our task and lauged and had cokes and chips and a wonderful time in the simplicity of the shop. As I thought of Jesus, His ministry, His disciples and His followers, I wondered yet again why he chose me to represent Him to the people. Me a sinner, a weak man, a man that is hardly suited to deliver His precious and powerful message, and once again my desire to be close to him in the shadow of the Savior brought me from fear to motivation. I realize that I am just some dust that God assembled for a short time, but he assembled me, faults and all because I am a part of his plan. I am useful to the Kingdom, although I am afraid of failing, I desire to walk with him and so everday I get up thinking how will God use me today for his pupose and I try to control my urges to be selfish and undisciplined. I pray for the Holy Spirit to fill me up and guild me to be the best I can be. But I am so weak.
But there must be defining moments for all of us who want to follow Jesus. As we sit back waiting for a huge event to push us out of the boat we must also prepare ourselves to go when he calls, Peter, Andrew, James and John all just left what they knew to expierience a world they would not understand for years to come, but because of their willingness to submit to Jesus they saw things that would blow their mind, they saw the undeniable Son of God face to face, they ate with Him and had Three wonderful yeras on tour with their Savior and had to see him die knowing that he had the power to do anything he wanted, and he did. He gave himself freely up.
They in turn found their defining moment and taking a huge risk they stood up in Acts chapter two and allowed their fear to motivate them and because of their trust in what Jesus had taught them they put their lives at risk and defined the moment and preached the word. I'm sure life must have been intresting for them. I am sure they had good days and had bad ones, just like we do, but they pushed on anyway and so should we. Even in our failures God's plan and purpose for us will be used. Trust that he knows what he is doing and when you finally surrender to Him you will be freed from the bondage that Satan has wrapped you in. Jesus comes along and sees that we want to walk in the light but we are afraid of messing up. I have come to realize that he knows we are going to mess up anyway and so why shouldn't I trust in his Grace and Love to make me who he wants me to be.
Find your moment, let your fears motivate you and drive you to be willing to do battle with Satan and those he uses. Fight the good fight! Make a difference. Push on. Lead. Pray. Be Happy for you are on the winning team. God is Awesome in you.
Tim
I have spent much time thinking about what Jesus did his last day in his shop. Did he finish some furniture for his family? Did he make something special for his nieces and nephews? Did he have something beautiful for his precious mother that he wished to give her as he departed for his ministry? Did he run his hard yet holy hands down some rough lumber thinking of things he wanted to make yet knowing it was time to go? Did he build a cross and lay down on it and think of the suffering he would have to endure for us, a world of people that would turn on him, knowing he would have the power and authority to crush those who would beat and crucify him? What was the defining moment that would catapolt Jesus into ministry?
It had to be a day of days. A day that Jesus spent in prayer and meditation. A day that fear could not stop his desire to serve his Father's plan. A day that Jesus said "It's time to step out of the boat and onto the water". A day that would change the world forever by simply walking away from all he knew and trust in a plan that was not his in order that His father's love could become complete for all the world to see.
I was at that spot the other day with two little boys, Christian and Omar. I went back to my shop in my mind, a comfortable place, you see I too am a carpenter. I grabbed pieces of wood and began to build a wall with these two young boys. We sang and talked as we accomplished our task and lauged and had cokes and chips and a wonderful time in the simplicity of the shop. As I thought of Jesus, His ministry, His disciples and His followers, I wondered yet again why he chose me to represent Him to the people. Me a sinner, a weak man, a man that is hardly suited to deliver His precious and powerful message, and once again my desire to be close to him in the shadow of the Savior brought me from fear to motivation. I realize that I am just some dust that God assembled for a short time, but he assembled me, faults and all because I am a part of his plan. I am useful to the Kingdom, although I am afraid of failing, I desire to walk with him and so everday I get up thinking how will God use me today for his pupose and I try to control my urges to be selfish and undisciplined. I pray for the Holy Spirit to fill me up and guild me to be the best I can be. But I am so weak.
But there must be defining moments for all of us who want to follow Jesus. As we sit back waiting for a huge event to push us out of the boat we must also prepare ourselves to go when he calls, Peter, Andrew, James and John all just left what they knew to expierience a world they would not understand for years to come, but because of their willingness to submit to Jesus they saw things that would blow their mind, they saw the undeniable Son of God face to face, they ate with Him and had Three wonderful yeras on tour with their Savior and had to see him die knowing that he had the power to do anything he wanted, and he did. He gave himself freely up.
They in turn found their defining moment and taking a huge risk they stood up in Acts chapter two and allowed their fear to motivate them and because of their trust in what Jesus had taught them they put their lives at risk and defined the moment and preached the word. I'm sure life must have been intresting for them. I am sure they had good days and had bad ones, just like we do, but they pushed on anyway and so should we. Even in our failures God's plan and purpose for us will be used. Trust that he knows what he is doing and when you finally surrender to Him you will be freed from the bondage that Satan has wrapped you in. Jesus comes along and sees that we want to walk in the light but we are afraid of messing up. I have come to realize that he knows we are going to mess up anyway and so why shouldn't I trust in his Grace and Love to make me who he wants me to be.
Find your moment, let your fears motivate you and drive you to be willing to do battle with Satan and those he uses. Fight the good fight! Make a difference. Push on. Lead. Pray. Be Happy for you are on the winning team. God is Awesome in you.
Tim


<< Home